Federal Skilled Trades

Under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, workers may be chosen as permanent residents of Canada based on their qualifications in a skilled trade.

Applications will be accepted if an individual plans to live outside the Province of Quebec and meets additional occupational requirements under the program such as:

  • Minimum two years of full-time work experience in a skilled trade within the five years before an individual applies
  • Meeting all the job requirements for the skilled trade as outlined in the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • Meeting the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening)
  • Having an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year, or a certificate of qualification for their skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial Body

Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program belong to the following occupations:

  • Industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Chefs and cooks
  • Butchers and bakers

These major groups in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), are further subdivided into different occupations.

You must show that you have fulfilled the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will not accept your application.

Fill out our Free Assessment or Contact Visa2Canada today to find out if you could qualify under the Federal Skilled Trades program.

Let us
help you get